Sunday, August 06, 2006

A brief thought about my naivete

It's absurd, but there was a tiny portion of my mind that thought things would just be fundamentally different when I got on the other side of the earth. Like different laws of physics would apply, or I'd breathe through my skin or people would walk six inches above the sidewalk. I knew this would be dispelled quickly, and it was, but in ways I wouldn't have expected. It's in moments when you squint at the sun, or stub your toe, drop the hotel key, sneeze, feel rain on the back of your neck or hear laughter coming through a window that you realize it's all the same. Everything around you has superficial differences and aesthetic judgments (sometimes densely packed, sometimes loud), and yet as beautiful as the differences can be, they're all artifice, something that a strong enough person could sweep away with the back of their hand in a single, swift stroke, leaving just... the world... underneath. Perhaps I'll have to travel south of the equator, just so that I can see foreign constellations in the sky. But I now doubt even that will fool me.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly what you need is a trip to the mirror universe from the original Star Trek series. Shake things up a bit.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peej, love reading about your travels. Looks like you lost a few LB's.? Suntan looks good on you! We are all well. Spent all of last week in IAH. Woodman is in FLL for job intervw. Maybe FL wants us back. No move for me tho until Next summer.....more later, Love you Neen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter