Monday, September 04, 2006

Cue the Bob Seger Music

Yes, if I ever get out of here (or here). That's what I'm gonna do: Kathmandu. I've arrived safely and I have a lovely hotel room in the center of Thamel, the backpacker quarter of this town. It's at least ten degrees cooler than Delhi, and although it has threatened to rain all day, I've escaped with just a handful of fat raindrops and many cool breezes. I have nothing more to report of the town yet, as I landed in the afternoon and have only achieved mundane tasks like visa, currency, lodging, laundry and food.

Now it's time to knuckle down and catch up on blog entries for a bit (the internet cafes here are tons better than India), and then tomorrow morning start exploring. For those of you keeping score at home, the path was Khajuraho > Jhansi > Agra > Delhi (again) > Kathmandu. Next port of call will probably be Pokhara, but not for a few days. There's a lot to see here in the city and the greater Kathmandu valley, and I have some important Internet work to do on Thursday.

I had another quiet moment of thrill today in the Delhi airport. I had been thinking all morning at my incredible good fortune at being able to travel. I mean, what did I do to deserve this amazing experience? There are people who work harder than me in countries like India (or at home, for that matter) who will never have the opportunity to do these things, because of accidents of birth or obligation. I know I've worked for it, too, but I can't escape the knowledge that I am so, so fortunate.

As I was having this thought, I looked up at a departure board, searching for my flight number, and I saw a flight headed for London at about the same time. I thought: London. I love London. What a great city; I've had a blast every time I've been there. Amazing art, charming British accents, good Indian food, Frenchie. If I willed it, I could walk over there, and change my ticket, and in six hours I'd be eating fish and chips out of a rolled up newspaper and terrifying Bene with a manic phone call from the street. Again this surge of strength ran through me, and I felt as if I wore the legendary seven-league boots, ready to step across the globe on a whim.

But of course, I smiled to myself, shouldered my pack, and walked towards gate 6, and Nepal.

Photos soon, I promise.

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, come and torrorize me!!! I am waiting for it, but Nepal is much more interesting and yeah, go to Pokkhara and the Annapurnas, do some trekking there, I just loved it and I think you will too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter